Sunday, October 10, 2010

Farmers Market Marvelling

I got to walk around the Dane County Farmers Market today on the Madison Capitol Square and I just love it.  I can walk to it easily, but of course had to call for a ride back to my parents house because I got a little out of hand with the purchasing and had more than two loaded bags of goodies.  (To be fair a chunk of that was ten pounds of pumpkin I purchased for a pumpkin stew recipe my dad has his eye on...)  I got to grow up this close to the Square so this market is like home to me. 

A big part of my working life in California was centered around farmers markets.  I did most of legwork to be certified, admitted, and maintain our memberships; I worked as a vendor at up to three markets every week; I fostered and grew the relationships that came from customers that happened upon our olive oil at the markets.  It was rewarding, exhausting, but affirmed my belief that sustainable farming (and hopefully organic and biodynamic as well) is how we may be able to overhaul the screwed up food habits in this country.

Who doesn't love going to a farmers market?  There's the ones that go for the stroll, or the breakfast, or the social aspect, and on the other end of the spectrum there's the ones that show up early with empty bags, maybe a card or a wagon, and shop for the week.  Out of those groups and everyone in between, everyone that's there wants to be there and I think deserves the little pat on the back they always seem to give themselves.

As per usual, I wanted to buy everything at the first few tables I saw, but luckily I managed to pace myself.  I like to spread out my purchases and get a thing or two from many vendors rather than everything from a couple.  (And, as these are all local producers, there is bound to be a lot of overlap, especially in the produce...)  This means I get to talk to more vendors, who in my experience are overwhelmingly a cheerful and helpful bunch, and generally thrilled to answer any questions about anything on their tables.  Between them and the happy crowds, farmers markets have to rate as some of the happiest places to buy anything anywhere.  Go to one; I bet you anything you'll feel it.

Today apples were everywhere, and apple cider of course; there were beets of all sizes, parsnips, radishes, potatoes, beans (dried and green), squash galore, dried and fresh meat, sunflower oil, vinegars, peppers, pickles, and some of the last tomatoes and corn and fresh basil of the year.  There was more than I could list from memory right now.  Most of what I just mentioned made it home with me, plus some bunches of horsetail just because it was pretty and I was proud of myself for knowing what it was. 

Now if I could just get my food-cooking on par with my food-buying I'd be set.



2 comments:

  1. SEND SOME OF THOSE DELECTABLE TREATS TO NYC!! Or bring them when you visit!

    Lovin the new blog! Miss you cuz!

    xx,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that was horsetail gracing our kitchen table! Today has already been a good day, 'cause I've learned something.

    Thanks for the pumpkin. The stew turned out okay. 10 lbs. turned out to be a lot, so there's some frozen waiting for you to savor (critically, of course) when you're home again.

    ReplyDelete