Thursday, October 28, 2010

Twin Cities Wish List 1.0

Maybe because I'm new to town, or maybe because I'm new to town and an unabashed fan of eating, food, restaurants, etc., as soon as I landed here in Minneapolis the restaurant recommendations started pouring in. 
The list is constantly evolving; as I am here longer I have tried more places, but the list grows faster than it shrinks.  (Also, on my plane ride last week I picked up the MplsStPaul Magazine's "Best New Restaurants" edition... so even as I finalize this list for today I'm perusing additions for the next version.)

As of today October 28th, this is the list...
Heartland -   It's a big deal.  That doesn't matter much to me.  What does matter is that the chef is proactively promoting the shovel to fork thing, and that the food, drinks, and space are all supposed to be really good. 
Barbette - I remember looking at this place months ago when I was researching for Katie's bachelorette/bridal shower.  We didn't go here, but it turns out she says it's her favorite place.  And, I have a lady date with the lovely Kate tomorrow, and she was craving here, so here we go.  I'm pretty excited.
112 Eatery -  I knew nothing about this when it was recommended by Molly O., but since looking into it I realize not only had I heard of it in a good way, I have lady group date dinner plans next week at their "other award winning restaurant" Bar La Grassa.  Well, hell...
Bar La Grassa -  Because I have heard some good things from good people, and I know I'll check it off my list soon.
Peninsula - It's Malaysian, it's really close to home, looks comfortable from the outside and is crowded at night, and the two people that have mentioned it have been enthusiastic.  
La Belle Vie -  Katie said it was quite the tasty experience, and it appears to be in a church.  Not to mention the chef has a JB Award under his belt, and they look like they really, really know what they're doing.
Durcat* - I've not read nor heard almost anything about the food here, but the charm from the outside looking in is enough for me to want to try.  It's huge, but twinkly and warm and inviting.  I can't help myself.
French Meadow Cafe** -  I've had a cup of soup that was delicious, some pastries that were good enough, and a brunch that was unimpressive.  I want to go for the dinner experience to properly assess it.
Nick and Eddie - OK, so this is kind of in line with French Meadow.  I have been there for a drink, which was fine but I loved the feel of the place.  Then I had a little food there last night for a friends birthday, and while the bartender/server/backroom was super, the salad I had wasn't too special.  I'm going to have an actual meal there before I really assess it, so for now, it stays on the wish list.


*Upon visiting the website, I see there's also one in Florida.  This makes me want to go there much less.  Much much less.
**I did not realize this was the same as French Meadow Bakery, that sells organic bread all over the place ("your grocers freezer" type of thing).  I feel like this may explain why their pastries and brunch were just not so flavorful.  Hmph.  Oh well I still want to do a dinner there.  We'll put this low on the list.








No comments:

Post a Comment